...continue to live in Him, rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith...

Thursday, January 27, 2011

to serve, not be served.

I was thinking today about our LIT program- the oldest campers who do a lot of "camper" things but also learn about and exercise a little leadership. I was also thinking today about one of the questions we ask on our staff application: "How would you define servant leadership?" I think there is a  lot to serving and a lot to leading and I think that the two often should go hand in hand. But if I had to pick the most important of the two words, I think I would say it's the "servant" part. To serve... to wait on, to assist, to offer, to render services, to help. Why is this so important? I think because scripture points out serving others quite often.

"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." -1 Peter4:10

"...to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up..." -Ephesians 4:12

" Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others." -Philippians 2:3-4
But perhaps the most humbling and most compelling reason that serving others is an integral part of following Christ is what we read in Matthew 20:28, "just as the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

Sometimes when I read that I have to pause and ask myself, "did you catch that?" Jesus came to earth- the Lord of lords- to serve. And that honestly blows my mind... if there is anyone I can think of that most deserves to be served it is Jesus. I strive to serve Him!! And this is how it should be- however we have a Savior who came to first serve us, in fact give his life and die for us. What a great motivation to serve him! And others. As those other Bible verses point out we must, must serve others. And we have a fantastic example in Jesus Christ. 


posted by: Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!